Best Survival Flashlights: Inspired by the Walking Dead
The Walking Dead returns to AMC for the second half of season 7 on Sunday, February 12. And we can’t wait to see if Rick and the group can take Negan down once and for all. Can they recruit more Negan haters, find additional weapons and collect enough provisions to see it thru? Now, If you’re a Walking Dead fan like we are, you’ve had the thought….What if there really was a zombie apocalypse?! Where would you go? And what would you take? This brings us to survival kits and having necessary lighting.
Search anywhere on Google and you will find lists of items to include in your survival kit that will provide you with basic necessities. For instance, some basic supplies are a first aid kit, multi tool, water pouches and – you guessed it – a flashlight. But what is the best flashlight to pack?
Best Survival Flashlights
Not knowing how long you will be fighting off zombies, you will want a flashlight that has a long runtime, versus the brightest light you can find.
- Fenix LD41 – Offers the longest runtime of 200 hours and is powered by four AA batteries. This light weighs 6.7 ounces and can be carried in its holster (included) for easy access.
You may not be able to find those CREE batteries in the ransacked stores and the power is out, so rechargeable lights won’t help you. Consider common alkaline batteries instead.
- Fenix LD22 – Requires just two AA batteries and will deliver 100 hours of runtime. This light weights 2.5 ounces and features SOS and strobe to alert other group members.
IF you are one of the lucky to have access to solar panels for power, then you can benefit from a rechargeable light.
- Fenix TK20R – Compact, powerful, rechargeable and is even waterproof for when you need to get across the lake to a stranded houseboat.
After your car runs out of gas and you have to walk to Alexandria, you’ll fancy a lightweight light for your backpack.
- Fenix LD09 – Weighing only 1.2 ounces, it still delivers 43 hours of runtime off one AA battery.
When your busy fighting walkers and psychotic men like Negan, you will need your hands free. Consider headlamps and lanterns.
- Fenix HL50 Headlamp – This headlamp is the complete package of lightweight (only 1.8 ounces), long runtime (150 hours on low) and use of common alkaline batteries (just one AA battery) But will also take CR123A batteries for additional performance. An extra survival feature – this light can separate from the head strap to serve as a handheld light. Watch out zombies!
And when you can’t find a knife, barbed-wire-covered club or gun to defend yourself during a zombie attack…
- Fenix TK15UE – Features an impact resistance strike face bezel, a runtime of 135 hours, and comes with a holster for easy access.