I was excited to try the Fenix FD20 Focus Beam Flashlight specifically for the focusing beam feature. My other three Fenix lights have a fixed beam.
My only concern was that this light uses two AA batteries and is not rechargeable. My other lights charge via USB or rechargeable batteries.
As a Home Inspector, I used the light for short periods of time to inspect areas of the home such as attics, crawl spaces, and other poorly lit areas. I use it to assist in taking pictures and identifying problems in the home I am inspecting. I also use the light outside of work when walking the dog at night. I live in Florida adjacent to a County Park and many times encounter several types of wildlife when walking the dog including coyotes, armadillos, racoons, possums, and even the occasional alligator. The dog will alert to these animals in the dark well before I can see them. I can use the light to light up the street and then focus in to see what the dog has alerted to.
As for my concern about the light night not being rechargeable, it’s been over three weeks and it is still going strong.
What I love about the light:
- Focused Beam: The ability to focus the light beam has been a great feature. When doing home inspections, I can focus in on parts of the attic or areas of concern, take a picture and have it highlighted with no extra work needed when adding the pictures to my reports.
- Adjustable Beam Strength: The adjustable beam strength allows me to take pictures with the right amount of light to add great pictures in my inspection reports
- Single Button Control: The most impressive feature for me. The FD20 has a single button for on/off and for adjusting the strength of the beam located at the rear of the light. One click turns the light on or off. To change the strength of the beam, a gentle tap will do. Love this feature.
- Compact Size: The compact size works great for me. While inspecting homes, I carry several types of testing equipment, the slim design does not take up much space in my pockets.
- Durability: So far after several drops on all types of material the light is holding up like a champ. Just like my other three Fenix lights.