Tactical flashlights are so much more than just a convenient light source. They serve a different, and much more important purpose than your typical household flashlight. With features like tail switches, strike bezels, longer-lasting battery life, LED lighting, and waterproof capabilities, the best tactical flashlights are built tough for even tougher tasks.
When shopping for the best tac light for the job, you may need to narrow down by what you’ll be using it for. Will it be used in self-defense to blind attackers during the night hours with its brightness? Is it a tactical flashlight you’ll use in emergency situations when outdoors? Are you military or a first responder that needs bright reliable lighting for search, rescue, and daily operations?
Here at Fenix, we want to help you find the perfect flashlight for your needs. Below are what we consider some of our best tactical flashlights on the market, and what each one does best.
Best Tactical Flashlights
PD36R – The EDC Tac
The PD36R is a high-performance flashlight in a class of its own. It delivers a powerful 1600 lumens a distance of 283 meters (928 feet) in a handheld size. The PD36R features a tactical tail switch for momentary on/off and a side switch to easily work through six lighting modes. At 5.4” and 3.0 ounces, it’s one of our most comfortable flashlights. The PD36R is a well-rounded flashlight, good size, excellent light output, and great for most tactical applications.
- USB-Type C fast charging port. Even 10-minutes of charging provides 5-hours of usage on its low setting.
- External battery level indicator. You can easily view your flashlight’s battery status via the read-out indicator.
- Comfortable side switch. Just single-click your way through its brightness levels and hold to activate strobe.
- Two-way body clip. Clip or hang the PD36R however or wherever you need it.
PD35 TAC Edition – The Tried & True
One of our best sellers, the PD35 TAC was designed specifically for law enforcement and military professionals. It features 1000 lumens in its turbo setting with a beam throw of up to 200 meters (656 feet). Pocket-size and light, with a length of 5.4” and weighing just 3.1 ounces, this tac flashlight can easily be clipped or stowed away in a vest. As one of our best tactical flashlights, the PD35 TAC features two awesome modes: Outdoor Mode or Tactical Mode. Use the PD35 TAC in whatever type of setting you need it for.
- Six output modes including a variable strobe.
- Tactical Mode: activates rear-switch only operation for a quicker mode selection of turbo, momentary, low, and strobe lighting options.
- Outdoor Mode: intelligent memory circuit will always remember its previously used brightness level.
TK22 V2.0 – The Tough & Bright
A bit larger and heavier than our PD35 TAC and PD36R, the TK22 V2.0 is next on our list. This tactical flashlight is 5.9” in length and weighs 5.3 ounces, made strong with aircraft-grade aluminum. Designed with industrial and tactical applications in mind, the TK22 V2.0 features a toughened ultra-clear glass lens that is non-reflective and both tactical and side switches.
- Throws 1600 lumens a distance of 405 meters (1329 ft) in Turbo.
- Low voltage warnings when the battery is running low.
- Comes with a body clip, lanyard, holster (length adjustable), spare O-ring, and ALF-18 battery holder.
TK16 Pure Tactical Grip
The TK16 is a great choice for a handheld tactical flashlight. Due to its size it is also a popular choice for gun mounting. This LED light also has a unique dual tactical switch which allows for easy thumb operation, meaning you’ll never be left fiddling with your flashlight in a tense situation.
- Uses Cree XM-L2 U2 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours.
- Powered by one 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery or two 3V CR123A Lithium batteries.
- Tactical tail switch for momentary-on function.
- Tail mode switch for easy and fast output selection, instant Strobe mode.
- Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating.
LD30 – The Pocket-Sized Tac
Last, but not least, on our list of best tactical flashlights is the LD30. This compact and tactical flashlight stands at 4.3” tall, perfect to keep on your belt or in your pocket.This small tactical flashlight blasts a huge max beam of 1600 lumens a distance of 205 meters (673 feet), making it a great everyday carry choice for security and law enforcement that don’t want to be weighed down by a larger light.
- Anodized aluminum body and IP68 rating making this a durable, waterproof, and dustproof flashlight.
- Side and tactical tail switch for easy operation.
- Two way body clip so you can clip it anywhere.
- Powered by a 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery (not included), but two CR123A Lithium batteries can be used for emergency.